During a bazaar earlier this year I managed to pick up two old hoop skirts for $20. So after some investigation I began to take apart this one. While the skirt is nice as you can see it just doesn’t fit my more Rubenesque figure. Also, the other hoops were actually a smaller circumference…
As inspiration, I used these instructions from the Dreamstress… I also used some photos of cage crinolines… and the circumference of the TV141. When I finished my cage, I threw the petticoat over it and noticed that I need to shorten it about an inch to be sure it stays under my petticoat – or I can “bag” the two bottom hoops. Not quite sure which I will choose, but I’m happy.
So while I had a hard time finding info on the progression of the hoop sizes (without purchasing a pattern that is). I decided that 10 inches would work for me since I only had four hoops. I also worked from the bottom up. Dicken’s Fair has a requirement that hoops not be more than 110″. So that’s where I started.
|Keep in mind that my corset cinches me down 6 inches easy.|
Also, the notes from the TV pattern note that that particular hoop skirt is 36″ in length, so that is how long I made my straps.
I made the waistband large enough to fit me when I’m not corseted… but its drawstring, so will cinch down to the 38″ I corset to.